15 March 2006

Oh, I've Been to Prague...

BBC NEWS | Europe | Czech MPs approve gay rights law
Though there seems to be inherent danger in referring to foreign law when arguing positions of policy, I include here a link to show just how out of sync I consider the United States to be. The Czech Republic is likely to recognize that gay people have rights too. The US has not yet gone that far.

To defend the position of many socially-progressive yet conservative people, adding laws is usually not the best way to ensure freedom from interference on the part of the government. Fewer laws = better exercise of freedoms. However, due to the current EOE, and other similar laws that protect classes of people, there seems to be an implicit conclusion that those not included on the act can be legally discriminated against. So, more law seems neccessary.
Czechs 1 - Americans 0.

My opinion regarding rights liberties and freedoms is quite simple. Having been endowed by my creator with certain inalianable rights, it is not for the government to graciously grant those rights to me. I already have, by birthright, by the mere fact of my having been born to human parents, said rights. We should not seek to be given our rights, hat in hand. We should seek to force the government to recognize those rights and through legislation prevent others from infringing on them. That, to me anyways, is the whole reason we consent to be governed.